SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio)
- Measures cooling efficiency of air conditioners and heat pumps.
- SEER = Total cooling output during typical annual usage / total energy input for the same period. Cooling output is represented by Btu (British thermal units) and energy input is measured in watt-hours.
- A unit’s SEER is calculated using a range of conditions to best represent the average U.S. residential usage.
- Higher SEER ratings mean greater energy efficiency, which translates to increased energy savings for users.
- New air conditioners and heat pumps are required by law to have a minimum of 13 SEER.
- The highest SEER central air conditioners on the market now are 20 to 23 SEER.
EER (Energy Efficiency Ratio)
- Measures a cooling system’s efficiency.
- EER = cooling output / electrical input. EER = Btu / watts.
- A unit’s EER is measured using set indoor and outdoor temperatures, as well as 50% relative humidity. This rating more closely represents a peak load rating versus the seasonal rating offered by SEER.
- Higher EER equals higher efficiency.
AFUE (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency)
- Measures the efficiency of a gas or oil furnace.
- A furnace’s AFUE is a percentage that describes the amount of fuel consumed and wasted to create heat.
- For example, if the AFUE is 90%, 90% of the fuel consumed by the furnace is converted to heat and 10% is wasted and expelled out the chimney.
- The most energy efficient furnaces in today’s market have 97% to 98.5% AFUE.
HSPF (Heating Seasonal Performance Factor)
- Measures the heating efficiency of a heat pump.
- This is a seasonal measure, sometimes considered an averaged factor representing the total heating season.
- HSPF = all yearly heating requirements (including backup heat provided by a furnace or other heating unit) / total electric power consumed. HSPF = Total Btu / Total watts
- Higher HSPF means higher efficiency, and lower energy expenses.
- New heat pumps are required to have a minimum HSPF of 7.7.
- The highest HSPF heat pumps on the market are 10 to 13 HSPF.
For friendly and professional advice on the sales, service and maintenance of HVAC equipment; contact Parkers Heating and Cooling today or call us at (615) 355-9137.